I halfway done building my meditation habit so let’s take a look at the stats!
Action Plan Progress:
- 37 of 66 consecutive days of meditating for at least 10 minutes a day.
- 546.97 meditation minutes logged (~9 hours).
- Average 15 minutes a day.
- 37 of 66 daily photos taken of my meditation locations.
- 1 of 2 books on meditation read.
- DONE – Connected with 7 of 2 people on meditation.
- DONE – 3 of 2 classes on meditation attended.
- DONE – Experimented with 5 different meditation techniques.
- 5 of 10 weekly blog posts on developing my meditation habit written.
For the first month of building this habit the photo challenge aspect of my action plan was getting in the way of my practice. I had time to meditate, but finding a space that was visually interesting to meditate in made it harder to achieve my primary goal. I realized this was a problem once I signed up for Headspace.
Headspace has a Foundation Series with 3 levels that are 10 sessions each. They recommend making your practice part of a routine and doing it in the same place at the same time everyday. I didn’t want to abandon my photo journal so I have recently started meditating twice a day. I do my Headspace guided mediation right after I wake up and then I meditate again later in the day in a peaceful space. This way I am working my habit into an existing routine, and increasing my meditative time by practicing more throughout the day.
My meditation practice has improved my ability to focus and the way I deal with stress. When I first started meditating I had a lot of negative-self talk at that beginning of my sits, but that has quieted as I continue to practice. I am very happy with the progress I have made so far, and sincerely hope I can turn this into a lifelong habit.
Follow my Instagram meditation photo journal while it lasts @ppreoccupation!