I am finally getting back into the swing of things after being sick all week, so please forgive the delay in this recipe roundup. Better late than never. The recipes we have tried from the 8WW Program Manual are listed below in order of preference.
Classic Fired Egg & Toast
- 2 fried eggs
- 1 slice whole wheat toast
- 1/2 tbl Smart Balance Buttery Spread Lite
I love fried eggs, so we’ve eaten this breakfast many times while building this habit. I’ve also adapted it by using one egg and adding a slice of Canadian bacon or using sourdough toast instead. It’s tasty, quick, and filling.
Quick & Easy Finger Food Lunch
- 1 mozzarella cheese stick
- 3 pieces thinly sliced, low-fat lunch meat
- 1 small apple
Another quick and easy meal that has helped us stay on track even on the busiest week night. Also surprisingly filling.
- 1 lb ground turkey meat
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 diced onion
- 1 chopped green pepper
- 28 oz can low sodium tomato puree
- 1 cup water
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 4 tsps low sodium beef bouillon
- 1 tbl chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp oregano leaves
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup dried lentils
- 15.5 oz can kidney beans (drained)
- Brown ground turkey in a large pot, drain
- Add garlic, onion, and pepper and cook over low heat until vegetables are soft
- Add remaining ingredients, cover, and cook over low heat for 45 mins until lentils and beans are soft
- Makes 6 servings
This wasn’t a successful recipe in my opinion, which is unfortunate because it requires a lot of ingredients. Clayton didn’t really like it either, so it wasn’t just my finicky palette.
Overall the manual gives you a lot of great recipes to start you on the 8WW path. I’m sure we’ll try more recipes while we build this habit.