I am happy to report that I haven’t lost any momentum after completing the initial 66 days of cultivating this habit. Now it’s time to pause and reflect on my progress so far.
Action Plan Progress:
- DONE – 72 consecutive days of meditating for at least 10 minutes a day.
- 1,194.3 meditation minutes logged (~20 hours).
- Average 17 minutes a day.
- DONE – 66 daily photos taken of my meditation locations.
- DONE – 2 books on meditation read.
- DONE – 7 people connected with on meditation.
- DONE – 3 classes on meditation attended.
- DONE – 5 different meditation techniques attempted.
- DONE – 10 weekly blog posts on developing my meditation habit written.
Incentive: I decided against a meditation retreat, and choose to splurge on a spa retreat instead. I will meditate during my massage, manicure, and pedicure. Now that’s an incentive!
“We are the cosmos made conscious and life is the means by which the universe understands itself.” – Dr. Brian Cox
This quote popped into my head today as I was trying to wrap up my meditation experience so far. It’s given me the opportunity to understand myself better, and by extension everything around me.
I continue to see improvements in my ability to focus and in dealing with stress. Morning meditation is especially beneficial in handling whatever comes my way throughout the day. A lot of the guided meditations I listen to also have suggestions for ways to incorporate your practice into your day, so it’s good to start early.
One surprise benefit to my meditation practice was that it made me better at quarters! I seriously wish that I would have practiced meditation when I was playing competitive sports, and would recommend it to anyone looking for a mental edge.
6 Month Goals:
- Complete 2 Headspace theme packs
- Read 1 new book on meditation
- Attend a Tai Chi class
This has been a worthwhile endeavor and an excellent starting point for building future habits. I’m excited to find ways to stay on track and have already started a health theme pack with Headspace that will take me through another 30 days of meditation. Stay tuned for more on the meditation journey in the future!